Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Insomnia, You Ruthless Malcontent

Insomnia, you ruthless malcontent!
Your designs on me leave me raw and spent.

Already the victor with the rising of the sun,
As I stand broken, 'fore the day has yet begun.

I brace myself & wobble from my tent
Approaching you with a victim's contempt

For I know you have the upper hand
as sleep is something I cannot demand

Instead I issue a plaintive cry
As I ask and beg and ask again "Why?"

"WHY are you withholding something rightfully mine?
The right to renew and kick-start my mind"

I receive no reply, no answer to my query;
No sleep, it seems, no nighttime fairy.

I see myself from far away, submitting to my fate,
When desperate thoughts embolden me and rouse one last debate

With shattered mind, I genuflect and implore again for peace,
Pleading for - with all I have - an hour of sweet release. 

But alas! The thoughts keep pace,
My mind will race,
And I'll never have relief.
My sorrows then, with worries spin 
Into a deep and scratchy-eyed grief.

No comments: